Grove go nap to progress to semi-finals over the Staffordshire Senior Cup beating Newcastle 5-1


Kidsgrove Athletic put in a five-goal performance as they beat local rivals Newcastle Town 5-1 to progress to the semi-finals of the Staffordshire FA Senior Cup.

Grove manager Ryan Austin made a few changes to the side that were beaten by Runcorn Linnets on Saturday with Rhys Thompson, Oliver Jepson and new signing Sion Green all starting. While Chris Budrys was back on the bench.

Newcastle made the better start to the game as Josh Glover forced Kieran Harrison into a fine save to keep the score at 0-0 after just three minutes of play. While at the other end Anthony Malbon created a great chance for Rumenio. However, the forward couldn’t divert the ball home as it hit the side netting.

The opening goal of the game came on 24 minutes when Malbon was fed by Thompson, the forward turned in the area and forced Castle goalkeeper Matt Johnson into turning the ball behind for a corner. From the corner, Shaun Rhodes beat his man at the near post to head the ball through the legs of Johnson to make it 1-0.

Lewis Bergin could have made it 2-0 just 12 minutes before the break when he had a chance from distance but he smacked his effort just wide of the goal. Shortly after that Kyle Diskin and Rumenio had chances to score, but, they couldn’t find the back of the net meaning the half-time score was 1-0 to Kidsgrove.

At half-time, Newcastle made their first of two changes when Taylor Attrell came on for Chris Smith in a bid to turn the match around.

They did just that on 53 minutes when Thompson lost the ball just inside the area and hauled down his man. Rob Orlando-Young stepped up and smashed the penalty past Harrison who was rooted to the spot.

However, any chance Newcastle getting on the front foot was quickly forgotten about as just a minute later after some great play from Malbon, he found debutant Green was able to rifle the ball into the net to restore Grove’s advantage.

Alex Morris had a chance to score on 71 minutes when he got forward. But his shot was to hit the side netting. Meanwhile, Malbon should have made it 3-1 when Rumenio countered following a Newcastle corner and he played the ball to his captain. Unfortunately, Malbon dragged his shot just wide of the net.

However, Malbon was to score just moments later when Johnson threw the ball straight at Diskin, who unselfishly picked out the forward, who made no mistake in finding the back of the net.

From there, Newcastle heads dropped and it allowed Diskin to get on the score sheet as he hammered home a screamer from 26-yards out when given time and space to shoot.

The scoring was completed with just two minutes to go when Malbon got his second assist of the night when he picked out Budrys in the area, who was unmarked and was able to place the ball into the net.

It’s a great result for Kidsgrove, who progress into the semi-finals of the competition. The teams they could face in the last four are Rushall Olympic, Stafford Rangers or Stoke City under 23s.

Kidsgrove are back in action on Saturday when they visit Prescot Cables in the Evo-Stik First Division West.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Harrison, Thompson, Morris, Bergin, Rhodes, Jepson, Diskin, Williamson, Rumenio (Budrys, 80), Malbon and Green (Saxon, 62).
Subs not used: Austin

Newcastle Town: Johnson, Bradbury, Steele Glover, Lowe, Dennis, Conlon, Van Der Lann (Frazer, 71), Smith (Attrell, 46), Ward and Orlando-Young.
Subs not used: all used.

Attendance: 145