Home Featured Local Sport Gutsy performance from Vale, against Bury

Gutsy performance from Vale, against Bury


Port Vale arrived at Gigg Lane following a loss to Maccesfield that John Askey said was simply not good enough. Bury are reported to have similar issues as Port Vale with the threat of administration ringing out loud.

Port Vale named only one change as Theo Vassell steps in for Mitchell Clark, many fans thought this was down to Clark’s recent tweet about leaving Aston Villa, but the gaffa said that it was due to injury.

Port Vale started the match brightly, but with only two minutes gone, Tom Pope lunged in on the half way line, lucky for Pope the referee felt a free kick was all that was needed.
The team appeared to be gelling a lot better than they have in previous matches with Worrall, Kay and Pope all playing well off each other. Worralls blistering runs down the right wing often caught out the Bury defence, with a number of balls being delivered from the wing.

The deadlock was broken after 24 minutes with a perfectly delivered cross from Antony Kay to a waiting Tom pope who chested it down and side footed it into the goal, leaving the keeper standing.

Bury were forced into making a change with Scott Wharton picking up an injury, ex Port Vale player Byron Moore is the replacement. The boos could be heard from the away supporters.

Just before half time Worrall went down injured following a tackle, Hannant appeared to be incensed about the decision, this only gained Hannant a yellow card. Worrall limped off and as one of the players out of contract this summer this must have been devastating for him. He does have one saving grace though. John Askey said he has already made the decisions about the retention list before todays game “as you cannot decide on a player based on one match”

The second half was a slightly different affair with Bury appearing to take up the rains of controlling the game. With 54 minutes gone, Nicky Maynor missed possibly the easiest goal of his career, standing on five yards out and blasted it against the bar.

Vales best chance of the half came in the 65th Minute and Bury’s keeper Joe Murphy sprinted out and jumped over a defender to collect the ball, he fell onto of the defender and dropped the ball in front of Tom Pope, who blasted it against the keeper. It was fumbled by the keeper and sped across the box to Montano who could only hit a defender. The ball then spun out to the right hand side and Ben Whitfield put the ball back across, but this was collected by the keeper.

It was a good performance from Vale, this is probably the reason for so much frustration for the Vale supporters. Vale had one of their worst performances against the third worst team in the league, but play against the second best and they appear to be able to match them. Many clubs in many leagues are currently having issues with players who believe that they don’t have to follow the rules. Vale even in the bottom league don’t appear to be immune from this. John Askey has said that he will be clearing them out of the club. If rumours are true, we could be losing some real talent from the club, but you have to have more than talent to work as part of a team.

Port Vale at the ended this match having played 4,860 minutes of football and scored 39 times. The supporters started the season with promotion on their mind, but ending it exhausted and with a new manager and possibly a new owner.

Got a story that you would like to share with us? Click here to send us the details!

Mark Bale
Presenter, Sports Reporter


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Local Sport

Theatre Reviews