Honours even in Leek’s first away game of 2019 at Ramsbottom United


Leek Town made it seven games unbeaten but was only able to come away with a single point as they drew 1-1 at 10 man Ramsbottom United.

The hosts opened the scoring after just 15 minutes of play through Jamie Rother before having Ruben Jerome sent off.

Leek were able to equalise through an Aaron Bott penalty, but couldn’t go onto another gear to get all three points.

Neil Bakers’ men had the best of the early chances when Bott should have scored after just two minutes as he put his shot wide of the goal, while Dan Trickett-Smith had an effort which he volleyed wide of the goal.

The opening goal of the game came against the run of play. When a long ball caught out Leek and found Jamie Rother, who was able to guide the ball past an on-rushing Danny Roberts and into the back of the net.

Despite going a goal behind the visitors kept up the pressure with Rob Stevenson and Niall Green causing Tom Kennedy all sorts of problems down the wing. Stevenson also fashioned himself a chance on the half-hour mark but he hit his effort just wide of the goal.

He had an even better chance on 35 minutes when a free kick was cleared towards him on the edge of the area. Beating his man, he unleashed a powerful effort goalwards. Only for it to rattle Sam Ashton’s bar and bounce out of play for a goal kick.

The games main talking point came just five minutes before half-time when a Ramsbottom corner was headed wide by Eddie Moran. Before Roberts could take his goal kick, referee Stuart Morland had a word with Jamie Rainford before going to the halfway line and speaking with Jerome and Jack Sanders, he would then pull out the red card for Jerome leaving the hosts down to 10 men. The reason for the dismissal was the Rammy man had kicked out at Sanders.

The equaliser came just seven minutes before the hour mark when a cross from Stevenson was handled in the area, with regular penalty kick takers Darren Chadwick and Tim Grice not involved with the squad, Bott put himself forward and sent Ashton to wrong way.

From there on it looked like that Leek would go onto win the game with Green shooting over the bar before an appeal for a second Leek penalty wasn’t cleared as Leek tried to scramble the ball home for a second.

Ramsbottom were content to hold on until the last 10 minutes when they tried to snatch a winner with a couple of free-kicks but Roberts was able to catch everything thrown at him.

Sam Hall could have won the game for Leek in injury time but he was to volley his effort over the bar in the last action of the game.

The result sees Leek slip out of the playoff places with Mossley winning 1-0 but will hope to return to those top five places next Saturday when Radcliffe FC visit Harrison Park for a 3 pm.

Leek Town: Roberts, Green, Short, Grocott, Sass-Davies, Sanders, Maguire, Reeves, Bott, Trickett-Smith and Stevenson.
Subs: Lycett, Hall (Trickett-Smith, 80), Walford, Johnson (Maguire, 70) and Bavanganga.
Ramsbottom United: Ashton, Kennedy, Ellison, Moran, Thompson, Kelvin Lugsden, Rainford, Rother, Jerome, Donaldson and Evangelinos
Subs: Osi-Efa, Keiran Lugsden (Donaldson, 56), Jacobs (Rother, 56), Brodie (Ellison, 69) AND Bemo-Leta.
Attendance: 220.