Home Featured Local Sport Leek Town back in the playoffs as Colwyn Bay hold them to...

Leek Town back in the playoffs as Colwyn Bay hold them to a draw


Leek Town returned to the playoffs places, but only just as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Colwyn Bay at Harrison Park.

It was important that Leek got something out of the game to take 5th place in the league table, as before kickoff they were one point behind Mossley in the table who visit the Staffordshire Moorlands club on Saturday.

A good start to the game was wanted by the Leek faithful and, they got that as with just three minutes on the clock Rob Stevenson chased after a long ball before cutting inside. He unleashed a powerful strike that left goalkeeper Andy Coughlin clutching at thin air as Leek took an early lead.

That goal put Leek in the driving seat as they pressed to get that second goal to give them that bit of breathing space. Marc Grocott, Dan Trickett-Smith and Tim Grice all had chances to get on the scoresheet, while Billy Reeves had two volleys that went over the bar and, out of the ground.

However, the visitors from North Wales were, slowly getting back into the game and, with just 10 minutes to go until the interval, they were level. Lewis Short, who was returning to the starting line up in place of Rio Adebisi, saw his pass deflect off a Colwyn Bay player and the ball ran through to Astley Mullholland. You don’t give a player like Mullholland that sort of chance as he will punish you and he duly did that beating the onrushing Danny Roberts to make it 1-1.

Leek was rattled by that goal and could have fallen behind a minute later when Ethan Devine got forward and cracked a shot against the post. Moments later Ashley Woods hit a volley from 35-yards out wide of the goal.

The second half saw both teams having chances to take the lead. Jamie Ellison saw his low cross go wide of the far post by a whisker. While at the other end Stevenson and Grice both had excellent chances saved by Coughlin.

However, the hosts retook the lead with just eight minutes to go when after some patient build-up play. Niall Green played the ball around the Seagulls defence to find Grice. The clubs record scorer didn’t have to think twice as he hooked the ball into the far corner of the net, much to the delight of the home supporters.

However, the game wasn’t won yet and just four minutes later and, the visitors were back level when a shot from Andrews was deflected off Darren Chadwick and found the back of the net. A great strike from Andrews as he was some 35-yards out when he hit the shot and, it left Roberts rooted to the spot to ensure Colwyn Bay took home a share of the points.

Leek Town: Roberts, Green, Short, Grocott, Chadwick, Sanders, Walford (Maguire, 72), Reeves, Grice, Trickett-Smith (Bott, 78) and Stevenson.
Unused subs: Johnson, Lycett and Adebisi.

Colwyn Bay: Coughlin, Devine, Ellison, Carrington, Bell, Mendes, Pritchard, McCready, Woods (Arkwright, 90), Andrews and Mullholland (Robinson, 82).
Unused subs: Rutter and Coverley.

Attendance: 316

Got a story that you would like to share with us? Click here to send us the details!

Richard Scott
Sports Reporter


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Local Sport

Theatre Reviews