Moorlands Radio Sports Roundup – 12/01/2019


In the Skybet Championship, Nathan Jones’s first game in charge ended it bitter disappointment. The Potters were soundly beaten 3-1 away at Brentford. A Shawcross OG and a goal each for Benrahma and Henry secured all three points for the home side. Stoke’s consolation came courtesy of Afobe.

In Skybet League 2 – Port Vale were hammered at home by Colchester United. A goal by Senior and a brace by Pell were enough to sink the Vale who managed just one shot on goal despite some fifteen attempts.

Macclesfield Town made the long trip to the North east to face Grimsby Town and came away with a much deserved win. Goals by Marsh and Wilson ensured the renaissance under Sol Campbell continues.

In the Evo-Stik Premier League, Buxton were beaten 3-0 by Marine at home courtesy of goals by Haynes, Irwin and Mitchley.

All our local Evo-Stik Div 1 West sides were at home. Leek Town beat league leaders Radcliffe in an often ill-tempered affair. Scott Lycett got red carded for the hosts. Radcliffe can count themselves fortunate to end the game with all 11 players. Aaron Bott opened the scoring for the Blues. Trickett-Smith doubled the score line before half time. Myers scored for the visitors.

Kidsgrove Athletic hosted Colne at the Novus Stadium and ended up on the wrong side of a 1-0 defeat. Colne’s goal came courtesy of a 50th minute Curran penalty.

Newcastle Town faced bottom of the table Skelmersdale. Things looked to be going with form as Town took the lead through Josh Glover and then had several chances to extend their lead. Newcastle conceded a penalty late in the game which was converted by Donnelly for the visitors.

In the Hallmark Securities Premier League Congleton Town holstered Burscough – the games ended in a goalless draw.

In the Hallmark Securities Div 1 Abbey Hulton United made the trip to Wythenshawe and were on the end of a 3-1 defeat. The home side went 3-0 up before Lee Cropper grabbed a consolation goal. Struggling Alsager Town faced St Martins at Wood Park. Gowan needed a win badly and took the lead through Brown but conceded deep in the second half courtesy of a Dickins goal.

Leek CSOB marched into the semi-finals of the Staffs FA Vase courtesy of a 1-0 away at Cheadle Town.