Home Featured Local News Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has released a fresh plea following two...

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has released a fresh plea following two more incidents involving the ‘SAME’ factors.

-

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service has released a fresh plea following two more incidents involving the ‘SAME’ factors.
Over the weekend crews attended two more fires in the north of the county relating to smoking and alcohol. These are two of the factors highlighted in the service’s SAME campaign, along with mobility issues and being elderly.
On Saturday, April 6 at 5.34am firefighters from Newcastle and Hanley attended a fire at a home on Wilton Street, Newcastle. The call came after the resident fell asleep whilst smoking after he had drank several alcoholic drinks.
The cigarette set fire to a blanket on the settee which smouldered and set off the smoke alarms.
Thankfully the alarms woke the man up and he doused the throw with water and took it outside before calling the fire service.
Director of Prevent and Protect Glynn Luznyj said: “Fortunately the man was not hurt during this incident which is often the case when alcohol and smoking are involved. These are two of the most common factors that increase the likelihood of dying in a fire.
“Thankfully he did have working smoke alarms which alerted him to the fire early on, although we would not encourage anyone to tackle a fire as the resident did in this case. Always get out, stay out and call the fire service.”
In a separate incident, crews were called to a similar incident on Monday, April 8 at 12.42am on Bemersley Road in Ball Green.
Firefighters from Hanley and Sandyford attended and found that the female occupant had put out a cigarette in a waste paper bin, which then ignited.
They put out the fire and scheduled a Safe and Well visit for the woman, to help her safeguard herself from having any further incidents.
Mr Luznyj added: “It is extremely lucky that neither of the people in these incidents needed medical attention which could have easily been the case. Please always ensure you put cigarettes out properly in an appropriate ashtray. We would also strongly advise you not to smoke if you are intoxicated which is believed to have been the case in these two fires and contributed to the blazes starting in the first place.”
For more information on the SAME campaign, and advice on how to book a Safe and Well visit the Staffordshire Fire & Rescue website.

Got a story that you would like to share with us? Click here to send us the details!

Scott Dutton
Website Developer, Digital Content Creator

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Local Sport

Theatre Reviews

X