Hello! In case you missed it on the show the other day – here is the fabulous mince pie recipe Simon Devereux gave to us!
Don’t forget, you can listen to Simon every Sunday from 7am – he gets up so you don’t have to!
Sweet Pastry Mince Pies.
150g plain flour
100g icing sugar
1 small egg yolk
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 jar of mincemeat.
Hint: refrigerate all the ingredients for 1 hour before making the pastry. Best results are achieved if your work surface and overall temperature is cool.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar together into a cold bowl, cut up the butter into very small pieces and add to the dry ingredients.
- Crumb the butter into the flour and icing sugar until it resembles fine crumbs. Add the yolk and vanilla essence and form into a paste. If the pastry is too moist add a little more flour.
- Cover the pastry and chill in the fridge for 30 mins.
- On a cold surface roll out the pastry to approx. 3mm thick. Using a round cutter (10cm) cut out 16 bases and place them into muffin trays. Spoon 1 ½ tspn of mincemeat into each and brush the edge with a little milk
- Re roll the pastry to cut 7cm lids and place on the top to seal. Brush the top with a little milk and then lightly sprinkle a little castor sugar on each one. Leave to rest in a cool place for 30 mins while you preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- Make a small cut in the top of each pie and bake for 15 mins (approx.) or until golden brown.
- Leave to cool in the tray before turning out onto a cooling rack.