Home Featured Local News Two dogs saved from house fire in Biddulph

Two dogs saved from house fire in Biddulph


Firefighters are urging people not to leave pans on stoves after two dogs needed rescuing from a kitchen fire in the Moorlands recently.

Crews from Biddulph and Sandyford were called to a property on Coppice Close in Biddulph and when they arrived the fire had already been put out by a neighbour but two dogs at the property were suffering from smoke inhalation and needed oxygen therapy.

Station Manager, Dan Keeling said: “We believe the fire started when one of the dogs jumped up at the stove and accidentally turned on one of the rings. Unfortunately, there was a pan on the hob which burnt dry and caused the fire.”

The fire was out when the crews arrived but the dogs needed reviving as the kitchen was smoke logged. We used a Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV) appliance to clear the smoke and then gave the dogs oxygen.

I believe one of the dogs is about 14-years-old but they seemed to respond well to the therapy and both were looking better when they were taken to the vet’s for a check-up.

The kitchen is the room in the house where there’s most likely to be a fire. Leaving pans on hobs is never a good idea, especially if you have dogs. They can be attracted by the smell of what you’ve been cooking and this isn’t the first time we’ve had to go to a fire caused by a dog jumping up and accidentally switching on a cooker ring. If you need to leave a pan somewhere before you wash it and put it away, it’s safer to move it away from the cooker and not leave it on the ring.”

As kitchen fires represent nearly a third of all accidental dwelling fires across the county,

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service is currently running a campaign to raise awareness of the possible dangers people face while cooking. For more information, visit the service’s website www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/your-safety/safety-at-home/cooking-safety/

Got a story that you would like to share with us? Click here to send us the details!

Scott Dutton
Website Developer, Digital Content Creator


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Local Sport

Theatre Reviews