On the show today when talking to our Simon all about cooking, I decided to share my own couple of recipes. This first one is for vegan meringues. It uses the water from tinned chickpeas as a replacement of egg whites. The water is known as aquafaba! Here we go…
1 tin chickpeas (regular 400g)
100g caster sugar
- Drain the aquafaba into a bowl ready to use
- Using an electric whisk, beat the aquafaba until peaks form. This will take a little longer than regular meringues.
- Once stiff peaks have formed, fold in the caster sugar, gently. Be aware that it’s more difficult to knock air out of vegan meringues, so don’t worry too much about over mixing.
- Once the mix looks glossy, you can pipe the mix onto a baking tray into meringue ‘kisses’.
- Bake in the oven at 110C fan (90C gas) for 1 hr 15 mins until crisp.
- Store in an air tight container!